(no subject)

From: basher 59 <kb7yss_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 08:43:22 -0800

It makes a lot of since to try and size your redo logs so they switch 1 or two times an hour. Too many log swithces is not good. On the other hand two few is also bad. If you have to do a recovery you will be greatful for a fewer number of logs to apply.
Take oracle recommendation. I did and I like it. Michael

>From: "O'Neill, Sean" <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: Online redo sizing and parameters
>Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 05:38:29 -0800
>
>I'm looking to resize our online redo logs for a particular app and am
>somewhat confused about the appropriate settings.
>The current config is 4 groups (2 members each) of 5Mb size. We cycle
>through a daily average of 750 logs in a 22 hour period. During a more
>intensize daily batch window of 5 hours there is an average of 100 per hour
>switches i.e. two thirds of switches are occuring during the batch window.
>
>I'm planning to resize the online redo logs to 120Mb based upon rationale
>of
>500Mb per hour in batch window and 4 groups. So switching will happen
>apporox every 15 minutes. Some Oracle documentation suggests 1 switch per
>hour is best and others one switch every 30 minutes.
>So question 1: Does this proposed resize make sense?
>
>Our current log_checkpoint_interval = 10,000 which means a checkpoint at
>approx 39Mb given it's a Win 2k OS with it's OS block size of 4096.
>So question 2: Does it make sense to leave this setting as is and have
>approx 3 checkpoints per each redo (timewise every 5 minutes) or is there a
>better value and why? (Support suggested setting to zero, i.e. effectively
>ignore!).
>
>The log_checkpoint_timeout is currently 1800. Support suggested setting
>this to zero but the reference manual suggests that this should not be
>done!.
>So final question: What would the best value be given the
>log_checkpoint_interval would probably have a checkpoint every 5 minutes
>using heavy processing?.
>

>Your considered opinions/input re above would be much appreciated.
>
>-------------------------
>Seán O' Neill
>Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
>[subscribed: digest mode]
>This message, including attached files, may contain confidential
>information and is intended only for the use by the individual
>and/or the entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized use,
>dissemination of, or copying of the information contained herein is
>not allowed and may lead to irreparable harm and damage for which
>you may be held liable. If you receive this message in error or if
>it is intended for someone else please notify the sender by
>returning this e-mail immediately and delete the message.

        Reply Reply All Forward Delete Put in Folder...InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash Canwaste Previous Next | Close

  Calendar
Hotmail Services
Free Newsletters
MSN Featured Offers
POP Mail
Find Message
Reminders
Directories

Explore MSN

Free Games
Find a Spring Date
'Net Access Deals
Share Photos
Send Cash
Chat Rooms
Upgrade your Career
Find Old Friends
Shop AT&T Wireless
More...

MSN Home My MSN Hotmail Search Shopping Money People & Chat

© 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. TERMS OF USE Advertise   TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement GetNetWise

Author: basher 59
  INET: kb7yss_at_hotmail.com