Re: Reverse Key Index Performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 13:23:17 -0800

If this is Oracle 8.1, it is possible for the optimizer to reject even a primary key index as too expensive once it has been reversed. Did you check the execution path (and I/O characteristics if necessary) to see if the index was still being used.

I haven't been able to emulate the problem in 9.0 yet.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August