Re: Create a new database

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 12:54:13 -0800

ORA-03113 (and ORA-03114) are error messages issued by the client process, not generated on the server (like most "ORA-" messages). Both essentially are complaints by the client process (i.e. SQL*Plus) that there is no longer a connection to the database server process. The usual way this occurs is if the database server process has "core-dumped" or "aborted" from experiencing a "bus error", "segmentation fault", "segmentation violation", etc. Something dramatic and instantly fatal, kind of like a brain aneurism for computer processes...

You should be able to find a large, cryptic ASCII-text trace file (i.e. "*.trc") in whatever directory the parameter USER_DUMP_DEST is pointing to. The "alert_<ora-sid>.log" file (located in whatever directory the BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST parameter is pointing to) should also have something logged in it. Unless the process was killed with the "KILL" or "-9" signal, Oracle executables generally try to produce a "core" file before it dies. This trace file would represent a good starting point for a search of MetaLink or for logging a TAR...

If you haven't set these two "_DEST" parameters yet, then these files can probably be found in "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log" or "$ORACLE_HOME/dbs" or some such...

And the advice to upgrade to 8.1.7.2 still holds....... :-)

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com