Re: ERD generation tool

From: Yechiel Adar <adaryechiel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 11:13:30 -0800

Ron wrote:
> Did you use the changed ERD to create a table and then use old archives to
> mine the data changes?

NO.

I did not started to work with log miner yet. I just saw the article that Joe published and thought about this point. I have enough experience to know that you can not teach old data new tricks (or new structure).

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

Yechiel,
 In the instance that you refer to it could present a problem if you use the "changed" table description to build a different instance and then used the "mined" info to update the table in the new instance. This would be a case where the source and target databases are not the same and then I don't think that any form of data replication should be blindly trusted. Remember, the OS, and database have to match to work properly.
 It is a good point that you brought out and it should be a warning to make sure the source and target are the same. Another item that could be overlooked in this case is father time. Did you use the changed ERD to create a table and then use old archives to mine the data changes?. It goes along with the changing of a column on a table and then trying to use old data to updates it or perform a calculation on it. There could be problems. That is why we document everything we do to the data. It gives us a reference to a point in time we can restore to if we need it.
Ron
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> adaryechiel_at_hotmail.com 05/02/02 01:23PM >>> Hello Ron

<shameless plug>
I was just looking at Joe new oracle 9i features at http://www.oracle-dba.com
<end shameless plug>
I saw that log miner gives you something like: update "SCOTT"."TEST_LOG" set "C2" = '10'

What happens if you extract this info and erd tool moved a column?

Inquiring minds wants to know

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

Moving the columns should not be a problem for anyone, heck you should be able to alphabetize them and everything be okay. If you take the output and use it to create tables that should not cause a problem except for the developer that codes for columns to appear in a specific
order.
Ron
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> cgrabowy_at_fcg.com 05/01/02 06:56PM >>> No, no Paul is stating it as a bug. This has happend to me, where on occasion ERwin decides to move columns around for no reason when it creates
the table in the database. I have looked at every single option and I can't
find anything, so I am assuming it's a bug.

But if anyone knows otherwise...please do share...

*

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Yechiel Adar