RE: Partitoned Table Insert Performance

From: basher 59 <kb7yss_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:53:42 -0800

Two years ago when partitioning came out we ran some tests. We found out that oracle had some coding problems if you were using 8.0.5. Everything ran okay, but it was slow.
The problems was with how the determined which partition to put data into. If you had 200 partition and data was being loaded into the the last partition, it had to do 200 compares and then insert. They have fixed it and now the use a hash algorythem to determine which partition to insert data into. It is really fast.
However you will find your biggest pay backs will be in doing selects. Did you know that partitioning takes advantage of pararrel processing, so your selects can be hitting several partitions at the same time. This really speeds everything up.
You will not want to partition every table. Only those table that fit the partitioning model. Also the way that you partition data can make or break your application. You need to really think out how you are going to partition a table. It really makes a big difference in performance. Try different options and do some testing. Ask this question, "how are my users going to access the data?" This is the starting question. Also you can also see how partitioning is going to effect backups and system/database management.
How many disks are you going to put data on. Which drives are used. Where are my indexes and data?
All good question. So it's not just a partitioning question.

Author: basher 59
  INET: kb7yss_at_hotmail.com