RE: ERD generation tool - Active SCM

From: Keith Peterson <keithpson_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 09:54:51 -0800

Lisa,
There is only so much you can control via a model, since it remains a process away from the DB, and cannot be enforced via privileges, etc. So, we are always in the hands of Dom Phoc (and their siblings), who can do "stuff" even in the production database with SQLPLus/TOAD/... Under this schenario, do you sleep well at night?

So, we said lets work with our Dom Phoc's. On production databases, we will STRIP them off of the Oracle database passwords. No password, no change. ENFORCED! Now, I can sleep well at night.

How? Not via models. Via a solution involving the following, and it seems to be working for us well: ActiveDesigner/ActiveChangeManager/ActiveCompare/A+ White Paper:
http://www.iraje.com/docs/ActiveSecureDesigner.htm

Take charge of the "Dom Phocs" in your org!

Keith

To: "'ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com'" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>, "'keithpson_at_yahoo.com'" <keithpson_at_yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:06:00 -0500

Well, for one thing, if your developer, Dom Phoc, starts changing crap
in
your database (as has happened to me in the past) a compare to the dev
model
would be great because my development changes would be in the model,
not in
the test or production databases. In that specific case I had to TRUST
him
(what? trust him after what he just did?) to change everything back,
or
restore from a backup, which would have been very time consuming.

I was one large ball of raging hormones that day and I took it all out
on
him. We don't work on the same projects anymore.

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
5259 Coconut Creek Parkway
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA 33063

Comparisons

> Am I speaking to the wind ....
>
> For Compares, why would you compare the MODEL with
the
> DATABASE...like going from US to London via Tokyo...
> ... and you get to pay more, like... you pay not for
> distance, but for "time in the air"... If a tool
takes
> longer to do something, makes more mistakes, is
bumpy
> and complex... you get to pay more.
>
> For compares, someone tell me what beats
> ActiveCompare:
> http://www.iraje.com/compare-diff.htm
>
> http://www.iraje.com/ActiveCompare_viewlet.html
>

> ...and I will switch my tool.