RE: ERD generation tool - Active Comparisons

From: <johanna.doran_at_sungard.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 04:03:27 -0800

Why? For consistnecy. I am in charge of making ALL changes to the data model, then rolling out those changes to the db. Our developers RELY on me and my tools for a database that reflects the model that we developed (Without Error).

Therefore, everything we do here STARTS with the model (dreamy, huh?). And the developers agree with this as we can get literally hundreds of changes (this has calmed down now that we have our first release), and this is the best way in our case to manage it (one point of change).

Now, I had been seeing some *weird* stuff creep into the model (inconsistencies, datatypes not being consistent from the logical to physical model etc). So, I spent some time going throught the entire model *fixing* the little stuff and syncing the logical and physical models. I ran a bunch of reports to looks at it (and got some of the wierdness that I mentioned previously like pk cloumn showing up a NULLABLE...etc). So, as a further TEST, I rolled out the model using the scripts generated by ERWin and just for the Heck of it, decided to do the compare and it failed. NO ONE was mucking with the database. But compares from model to db are useful for syncing the db IF something like that should happen.

Think of it this way, copying a file in an editor (take Word for example). You may not NEED that extra file, but you would be completely WIGGED out if your copy was NOT the same as the original. Which was my point of doing it in the first - to test ERWin. It failed.

Hannah

  INET: johanna.doran_at_sungard.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 07:03:27 CDT