RE: ERD generation tool

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 09:48:33 -0800

ERWin and ERStudio are basically in the 3,000 to 4,000 price range, depending on what add-ons you take and yearly maintenance license.

When I reviewed them in 2001Q4, ERStudio was the only one that had a network option. In other words, you can install the software on every PC in the company but only X amount of users can use it at the same time. So that has some appeal, if you have a lot of people that need to be able to use the software but not at the exact same time. Sort of like MTS...:)

Quest's QDesigner was probably the least user friendly, but it has some slick capabilties. For example, if the current version doesn't support a new Oracle index type, then it's no problem, since you can edit the SQL template that is used to create a particular index.

ERStudio was easy to use, and seemed to be well developed. The sales guy went over my head when he didn't think he was going to make the sale. Regardless, we have no budget so nothing was purchased.

ERwin 4.0 was a disappointment. It seems like they polished up 3.5.2 and added a new reporting capability, and that took them several years. Let's all thank CA for not much. Besides the sales guy was a total jerk.

Author: Ray Gordon
  INET: rgordon_1_at_hotmail.com

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 12:48:33 CDT