RE: FILE IDENTIFY wait event

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:33:19 -0800

Hit http://www.pugcentral.org/howto/truss.htm for a complete description of truss and a listing of where you can obtain it for several different OS brands.

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

http://www.hotsos.com <http://www.hotsos.com/>

-----Original Message-----
Nørgaard
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 5:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Depending on the OS, one could maybe trace the call made by Oracle's OSD-layer to the OS (I can't remember the name of the trace facility in Solaris, but it's also sort of available now in AIX version 5 and there are similar freeware things available for HP/UX and other OS'es).

Tim Gorman wrote:

If a wait-event (i.e. FILE IDENTIFY) was posted, then Oracle was undoubtedly making a system call such as "open()" or "fstat()" or something. If those system calls "hang" when the device file exists but the underlying device is offline, then there is nothing Oracle can do about it...

It could be platform-specific behavior; it might "hang" on one platform and fail on another...

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 23:33:19 CDT