Re: unix df -k .. not giving extact space at point in time

From: <Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:28:31 -0800

It is possible that some process was attached to those files and until that process released those files it wouldn't release the space, Also Unix will take its own time to actually clean up a delete. It will delete the inode reference from the directory listing but can take some time to actually release the space depending on how busy the system, or that filesystem, is.
I have seen some programs that make hidden files to carry out tasks. The software actually created a file then attached a process to it and then deleted the file whilst the process was attached. The file was accessible to the process but was hidden from everything else. You can find them with an inode listing.

Cheers

--

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com

Narender Akula <narender.akula_at_terralink.co.nz> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
01-05-2002 08:49 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        unix df -k .. not giving extact space at point in time

hi gurus,

This is unix question but hope someone got the answer.... I ran df -k yesterday on my oracle directories.

/oradata4  81%
/oradata3  77%
/oradata6 72%

( this not exact out put only inclueded mount on ,capacity) I removed some files from /oradata4 and added some files to /oradata4 the figure didnot changed on /oradata4 .. but increased to 87% .

today agian I ran df -k which showed. /oradata4 as at 76% capacity.

my question why df -k command took some time to give exact figures on disk usage ?
Is there any why to refresh this command or are there any alternatives ?

naren

narender akula
Oracle DBA OCP

TERRALINK INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
ddi:             04 915 6055
fax:             04 915 6030

mobile: 021470971
email: narender.akula_at_terralink.co.nz
mail: PO Box 2872, Wellington

Author: Narender Akula
  INET: narender.akula_at_terralink.co.nz

This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.

--=_mixed 007BA3164A256BAB_=--

  INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com