RE: pl/sql is INTERPRETED?

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:13:37 -0800

IMHO, I don't believe that you can "properly" learn PL/SQL in a very short period of time, or for that matter, any other language.

I attended Steve Feuerstein's presentation at MAOP-AOTC conference, and he tore into many real-life examples of PL/SQL. Supposedly, these were written by developers that knew what they were doing.

Granted, if a smart developer sits down and reads Feuerstein's Learning PL/SQL and Best Practices books, then perhaps they will be good. But who the hell has free time? There is no free time on any project or effort that I know of!! I'm struggling with trying to improve my Oracle DBA skills, plus some developers skills so I can speak their language when they blow out OPEN_CURSORS or something. My head is swimming in the stupid technical alphabet soup, XML, XDK, XSQL, XSLT, XPath, SOAP, ASP, ADO, EJB, BC4J, JDBC, SQLJ, PSP, JVM, JSP, J2EE, EAD, RMI, CORBA, IIOP...and don't ask me what all those mean, because I can't keep them straight. But I do keep hearing that XML is going to put me out of a job, so I guess I should learn that...whatever that is. Isn't XML an add-on, or extension, or something to DML??? Now where the heck did I hide that bottle...

Author: Koivu, Lisa
  INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us