Re: Oracle Financials Sys Admin. Needed in South Carolina

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:13:27 -0800

Something is horribly wrong with that calculator! From San Francisco or Manhattan to some small town in western Nebraska, salaries for DBAs only vary about 15-30%. These posts from OraStaff always seem to be for low-paying jobs, wanting significant experience in a number of technologies, demanding long tenure, no H1B, no relocation, ad nauseum...

Of course, Monster, Dice, et cetera aren't much better. They are dominated by headhunters mindessly spewing out tens of thousands of "opportunities" each. In my opinion, the only "opportunity" in the vast majority of them is for the recruiter to make a commission. I saw several recently that "absolutely required" two years production experience with Oracle9i and Oracle9i certification. Four different recruiters here in town called me about one of these positions - with exactly the same requirements as the web site(s). If that isn't *totally* clueless, then what might be? I tried to explain to them that anyone who said they were "qualified" should be disqualified - as blatantly dishonest.

Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

As evidence of this, HomeFair.com's salary calculator says a salary of $100,000 in Manhattan is equivalent to $32,000 in Spartanburg. Doubt this is accurate to the penny, but if even close it sounds like $75K has you living like a king (or queen) in Spartanburg.

Jim

Author: OraStaff
  INET: orastaff_at_mindspring.com

Author: Freeman, Robert