RE: Insight on oracle enterprise manager

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:38:42 -0800

The OEM submits code to target databases via OraTcl (possibly just straight Java now) and SNMP to the Oracle Agent, which then passes it to the DBSNMP account on the target database.

>From there, the DBSNMP account runs the code, be it event checks, jobs, etc.

Otherwise you have to go through SQL*Worksheet or some of the other GUI tools, I think. You might be able to shutdown and restart databases via the console or DBA Studio. First you have to log into the database by double-clicking in the navigator pane on databases that you placed there manually and configured to connect as SYSDBA. The SQL that is submitted through most of the GUI tools is just SQL via SQL*Net, it's not through SNMP and the Oracle Agent.

That's why it's important to change the DBSNMP password! If you leave the Oracle Agent running, and you ran the catsnmp.sql script, your dbsnmp account is open to the world. Check MetaLink for info on how to change dbsnmp passwords.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

Author: Suzy Vordos
  INET: lvordos_at_qwest.com

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca