RE: What block size are you using for your new 9i data

From: Bill Buchan <wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:04:56 -0800

Sorry, I'm a bit non-clued up on this "read ahead algorithm". Could I be a pain and ask for more details? Does the OS return one OS block if exactly one is requested, but if 2 are requested it thinks "aha! sequential scan" and goes and gets 4 or 8 or something?

The follow on is, does this mean you should use a (minimal) 2k block size on UFS, 512 bytes blocks, or is this read-ahead overhead a smaller performance hit than that of using a database block size which is too small for the application?

Thanks
- Bill.

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com