RE: DBMS_STATS.gather_database_stats

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:24:21 -0800

Walter,

You might want to check the following Bug and ML note. I covered this in my recent paper on the CBO at IOUG - cut and paste below:

MYTH: "ANALYZE THE ENTIRE DATABASE, INCLUDING SYS" This is usually the result of an over-enthusiastic move to the CBO. The internal Data dictionary (mostly owned by SYS) is heavily optimized for the RBO, a carry over from the days of Oracle 6 when RBO was the only child in the family. Many Data dictionary views are hinted by RULE, but some are not. Messing around with them is not good for the health of the Database! On a more serious note, Database deadlocks have been known to occur when analyzing the SYS schema as rows being inserted into the Histogram-related internal tables lock themselves out. For further details, refer to Metalink Note 35272.1.
An interesting side note to this myth is the hidden issue with the DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_DATABASE procedure. Invocation of this in-built package/procedure used to generate statistics for all users, including SYS. Bug 969814, released as late as 8.1.7, fixes ANALYZE_DATABASE so it does not analyze the dictionary tables FET$ and UET$.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com