RE: Oracle ODBC On Windows95 (Don't ask) :)

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:39:57 -0800

There are free drivers from Oracle and Microsoft. They have different behaviors. One will fail, under certain conditions, where the other will not. Use the one that works for you. There is a third party driver that works under all conditions but you have to pay for it. I don't remember the name of the vendor but our client was unwilling to pay for it since Oracle provided a free driver.

                    johanna.doran
                    @sungard.com         To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    Sent by: root        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                                         cc:
                                         Subject:     RE: Oracle ODBC On Windows95 (Don't
                    04/25/2002           ask) :)
                    12:18 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Are you just trying to setup an ODBC conenction?

In Control Panel, you should see an icon for an ODBC manager where you can add dns entries .  You STILL will need to install Oracle client.  Use the db alias name for the Service name in the ODBC setup.

On 95, I believe that there are 2 sets of Oracle ODBC drivers,  one put out by Oracle and the other by Microsoft..... funny but I remember we had to use the Microsoft drivers because we had problems with the Oracle ones.....

That's all I really remember, but feel free to get me off list for more specifics if you need them.

Hannah

Author: Stefan Jakobsson
  INET: stefan_at_areldata.se

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists