"Can't Break In" and Securing iAS on NT

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:53:23 -0800

I am reading through O'Reilly's Apache: The Definitive Guide, 1999.

On page 42 it says:
"In plain English, this means, once again, that Win32 is not an adequate platform for running a Web server that has any need for security."

Has anyone been able to get info out of MetaLink on how to secure iAS on NT?

Do you have any info on how to secure iAS on NT? I was told last year to install iAS on NT and this year I have been told to "secure the Oracle servers".

If you have any info, SANS would probably like to see it too, they are putting together an Oracle security guide.

I like Oracle, in my opinion it's better than anything else out there right now. But I have been told to secure the Oracle servers and so far I appear to have hit a brick wall with the MetaLink helpdesk people, they keep asking me if I have specific concerns.

I asked them to tell me if the local administrator account is the right one to use for installing Oracle software on NT, one technical analyst quoted installation notes saying that a new account should be created and placed in the local administrators group; another told me that the local administrator account is fine; the third one hard closed my TAR without answering my question. He figured that since I had asked the same question for iAS, OEM and the rdbms, he didn't need to answer my question.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Apr 25 2002 - 07:53:23 CDT