Re: good value for optimizer_index_cost_adj

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:48:32 -0800

It's interesting that you should have heard that.

My first interpretation of the optimizer_index_cost_adj was that it was an estimate of the table logical I/O that would become physical I/O (and ignore the fact that this was allowed to go above 100%) - which brings it into line, somewhat, with the optimizer_index_caching in terms of 'addressing the same issue'.

However, I decided that your interpretation was a much nicer, more intuitive, way of appreciating the significance of the number and deciding on a rational setting for it.

But I'm inclined to agree with you - even if they were supposed to be addressing the same problem in different ways, they do seem to be jointly and separately (as the lawyers say) viable.

Have you tried any experiments yet which mix dbms_stats.system_stats figures with the effects of these two parameters ? That ought to be a case of when we should do one or the other.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 15:48:32 CDT