RE: monitoring multiple databases using PL/SQL

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:28:23 -0800

Dennis,

True, but you should also consider...

"In a decentralized configuration, the monitoring software or scripts reside with the database. This complicates maintenance, but allows for higher monitoring availability."

I believe that your better off somewhere in the middle.

You can host a set of PL/SQL procs in a "monitoring" schema on each database server to check the basics of the database, and report back to you. In this configuration, you can enhance and add features to the development version, and make sure it works, before updating all the databases. Du'oh!! Configuration Management!!!

And then you can host specific "are you up/bogus login" scripts on a central host.

Generally, your Oracle database stays up...since it's not SQL Server...du'oh!!! The majority of the database problems are in the database, ie. maxextents, no space, performance, blah, blah...there is a list in my paper.

Don't forget to collect all this monitoring data in some table(s), as it will become useful.

And be sure to CC your boss on all the benefits your monitoring services provide you. Hopefully, some funding will eventually be thrown your way to get a decent monitoring product.

Also, recently I saw a demo of a monitoring product called AutoDBA. It is very slick, almost like having a junior DBA doing all the boring, monitoring, dirty work. Except it doesn't get your coffee for you...or wash your car...or...

HTH. Chris Grabowy

Author: Madhusudhanan Sampath
  INET: madhulist_at_hotmail.com

Author: Grabowy, Chris