Re: Design question: EFFECTIVE_?_DATE in a RATE table...

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:38:18 -0800

Chris,

Yes, I've done it with a single date column as you specified in the second approach.

The following bit of code may be helpful:

declare

        v_claim_date date := to_date('02/01/2002','mm/dd/yyyy');
        v_rate_code rate.rate_code%type := 'ABC';
        v_rate_date date;

begin
        select min(effective_date) into v_rate_date
        from rate
        where rate_code = v_rate_code
        and effective_date between v_claim_date and
to_date('12/31/9999','mm/dd/yyyy');

end;
/

Returning no row indicates that the claim is not covered.

This SQL is probably not optimal, but illustrates the idea.

It's much easier for users and developers to juggle a single date per record than try to ensure the the start_dates and end_dates are all in sync.

Jared

"Grabowy, Chris" <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
04/22/2002 04:54 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Design question: EFFECTIVE_?_DATE in a RATE table...

A design question, my RATE table looks something like this....

SQL> desc rate
 Name
Null? Type

those are the PK fields...and the SQL to query the table is easy. I am trying to determine if I can "tighten up" the table, like this...

SQL> desc rate
 Name
Null? Type

I just haven't been able to code the right SQL.

Has anyone else taken this approach?

Sorry for these design questions, I am just being very anal about every table, PK column and index, before we dive into development and everything becomes "hard coded".

TIA!!!! Chris

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 22 2002 - 20:38:18 CDT