RE: Anything new from IOUG? + "OWI" Born!! (Anjo/Mogens, please n

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:30:04 -0800

Hi Connor,

Somebody (I think it was Cary) mentioned your little PL/SQL procedure that will provide any required CHR. So you are famous, even if you were not present :)

And yes, without seeming to migrate to the CHR camp, there is some merit in what you are saying. However, I would suggest that tracking 'normal' delta values of 'cache buffer chain' gets, misses, spins and sleeps from V$SYSTEM_EVENT/V$LATCH, as well as deltas of 'table scan rows gotten' vs 'table fetch by rowid' would be a better 'ratio' than the CHR which will only serve to feed a myth. The former would give you some indication of LIO (and the stress it causes on the system) and the latter will indicate raw requirements that were met but were the ones that drove PIO.... As for me, I detect changes in the following SQL and page out to an on-call DBA when some set limits are exceeded:

select event, count(*) from v$session_wait group by event;

This does show the 'current' bottleneck and I still remain true to the calling of OWI!!

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com