RE: What is truth?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:53:26 -0800

Don, Ray - Think of the OCP as a subtle shift of power. Most of us talk among ourselves and assume that we are captains of our own destiny. Trying to make up for what Oracle has overlooked. Then the OCP comes along and we have no choice but to accept Oracle's viewpoint, at least long enough to squeak past the exam.

        I took an Oracle class recently and was shocked to find that generally the attitude was pointed toward passing the exam. If you asked a question that was not aimed at clarifying understanding for the class, the teacher wasn't very interested in responding. I can see the point after all, don't confuse the other participants.

        I'm not saying that the exams are bad, just that everything comes at a price.

        I am also concerned about the idea of "testing for understanding rather than memorization". Sounds good, but there is a possibility that Oracle might use this as an opportunity to ratchet up the difficulty. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Don Granaman