Patch Install (8.1.7.3) and oraInventory

From: Glenn Travis <Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:51:00 -0800

I am trying to install the 8.1.7.3 upgrade patch. Unfortunately, somewhere down the road I have lost my oraInventory directory. The installer says 'There are no patches to be applied." Metalink says that the only way to get your oraInventory back is to reinstall the current version of Oracle and all patches.

Does anyone know of a way to get the patch to install without the inventory history? Or a way to rebuild the oraInventory directory? This is a cloned database and I already tried copying the oraInventory directory from another instance, but the files have the installation directory hardcoded and the oraInventory files are binary so I can't change them.

If all else fails, I will reinstall Oracle. But that leads to another question. I want to install the same components that are installed in another instance (that it was cloned from). Is there a way to get a listing of installed components? I ran the installer on the original instance and selected 'Installed Products...' to get a listing, but when I saved it, it gave me a ton of information, most of which was duplicates. How do I weed through that listing?

Author: Glenn Travis
  INET: Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 22 2002 - 15:51:00 CDT