Re: Execution plan optimizer Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:13:26 -0800

There are a few conditions which make Oracle use cost based optimisation on a statement even when your system is set to RULE based, or even when you have a RULE hint.

To date the list is (I think) limited to statements containing at least one of the following:

An IOT
A partitioned table
The SAMPLE clause
A parallel enabled table or index.
ANSI outer joins (v9)

If any of your queries contain these types of objects, then in the absence of any statistics Oracle will use some default values - so when you get proper values in place the paths may change (in theory for the better).

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August