Re: ioug-a question

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:13:19 -0800

This is from grandpa's memory:

The wait interface (v$system_event, v$session_event, v$session_wait) were introduced in 7.0.12. So if my memory works correctly at this early hour, that was 1992. In 1995, I wrote the Oracle7 wait events and enqueue paper, after Jeff Needham explained a couple of events in the 7.1/7.2 performance and tuning guide. I saw that and decide that we need to do them all. In 1996 I got involved in tuning one of the largest Oracle installations in the world and had to convince the developers that they were doing the wrong thing. So I came up with YAPP (actually even to day that site is still using the initial scripts that we developed for them based on YAPP). I also started to give talks about this way of tuning, I gave talks to support and consultant goups (1997 and later). Then some one in support decided that a white paper was needed and that became the YAPP white paper, published 1998.

So a couple of dates and names:

1992 - Juan Loaiza (designed the wait interface) 1994 - Jeff Needham (documented 4/5 events in the performance and tuning guide of 7.1/7.2)
1995/1996 - Oracle7 wait events and enqueue papers (Anjo Kolk) 1996 - YAPP developed onsite at one of the largest OLTP OPS sites in the world 1997/1998 - people insite of Oracle are getting exposed to the wait interface tuning (Mogens Norgaard, Cary Millsap, Shari Yamaguchi)

1998 - white paper was published
1998 - oraperf website
2000 - other companies start to work with the wait interface (Hotsos/Miracle)
2001 - a lot of books are published with wait interface / YAPP methodology
2003 - Richard Niemic rewrites his book and throws out the buffer cache hit
ratio and introduces the wait interface, like it was invented yesterday ;-)

A couple of things that I have noted over the years:

  1. DBAs want tricks (what parameter should I set) to solve performance problems, not a methodology to solve performance problems (learn a man how to fish instead of feeding him)
  2. response time tuning is not new, the problem is that most tools out there don't use it and most books don't mention it. It is a complete paradigm shift for most DBA.
  3. YAPP/response time tuning is not perfect (by any means), but it is so much better than hit ratio and short list tuning.
  4. Response time tuning will become more important as there are now products coming out that do end-to-end response time tuning (actually there already a couple).

Watch this space, as things will evolve over the next couple of months/years !

Anjo.

Author: Anjo Kolk
  INET: anjo_at_oraperf.com