Re: OBJECT DESING

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:33:20 -0800

For the radical approach - as espoused by Dave Ensor - PCTUSED=0 !!! (If this doesn't generate some serious discussion, I'll be amazed!)

This works quite well for tables where records are purged some set length of time after insert. The net result is that blocks are filled, then left alone until purged when they (the vast majority at least) are completely emptied and put back on the free list. Blocks tend to be fully populated and freelist activity is minimized. Be aware that in some older versions of Oracle, there is a bug that requires PCTUSED = 1 (blocks only move back to the free list if used space < PCTUSED instead of <= PCTUSED). I do not know offhand what version fixed this.

Dave Ensor's suggestion was to use this (almost) everywhere, but I'm not really comfortable with it as a blanket policy. It seems that tables with deletes that are "chronologically random" would end up with a LOT of very sparsely populated blocks.

The approach recommended below is to set it rather high to accomplish the block density goal, but at the potential expense of high freelist activity. Which approach is more appropriate depends on the nature of one's insert/delete criteria.

Also, PCTFREE can be set extremely low (1,5,?) for some kinds of objects - static tables, indexes with strictly inorder data (CREATE_DATE, SEQUENCE#, etc.).

I agree with always setting PCTINCREASE =0

Don Granaman
[OraSaurus - Honk if you remember UFI !]

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_cox.net