Question: system tablespace fragmentation.

From: Godlewski, Melissa <Melissa.Godlewski_at_hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:29:44 -0800

I granted select on table to a user. This permission already existed in the database. The sql statement returned a Grant succeeded.

I've read the fine manual and couldn't find any information about regranting a permission that already existed, so I ran a trace and the results are below: It appears to me Oracle just updates the objauth$ without checking if a permission already exists. This shouldn't (should it) cause fragmentation in the system tablespace since it updates an existing record with the same information.

grant select on contract

update obj$ set obj#=:6,type#=:7,ctime=:8,mtime=:9,stime=:10,status=:11,   dataobj#=:13,flags=:14,oid$=:15
where
 owner#=:1 and name=:2 and namespace=:3 and(remoteowner=:4 or remoteowner is

  null and :4 is null)and(linkname=:5 or linkname is null and :5 is null)   and(subname=:12 or subname is null and :12 is null)

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Parse 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
Execute 1 0.01 0.01 0 2 1 1
Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

total 2 0.01 0.01 0 2 1 1

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Misses in library cache during execute: 1 Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: SYS (recursive depth: 1)

Rows Row Source Operation

-------  ---------------------------------------------------
      1  UPDATE OBJ$
      2   INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 34)

update objauth$ set
option$=decode(option$,null,decode(:1,0,null,:1),option$) where
 grantor#=:2 and obj#=:3 and privilege#=:4 and grantee#=:5 and nvl(col#,0)=:6

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Parse 1 0.01 0.01 0 0 0 0
Execute 1 0.00 0.00 0 2 2 1
Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

total 2 0.01 0.01 0 2 2 1

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Misses in library cache during execute: 1 Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: SYS (recursive depth: 1)

Rows Row Source Operation

      1  UPDATE OBJAUTH$
      2   INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 100)

Author: Godlewski, Melissa