RE: MySQL vs. Oracle database

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:23:25 -0800

Hi Walt, et al.

"It's quite possible to use MySQL as a backend database for web hosting and get good performance and decent reliability. I haven't heard of Access being used for that sort of thing."

Actually Access is used quite widely as a backend database for web servers. The usual set-up for an NT web server is to have IIS (web server agent), that accesses either a SQLServer or Access database via asp pages. We use an Access database at the backend of our cool-tools.co.uk site.

"Just wondering why do you think MySQL is closer to Access than to Oracle. I have played with MySQL a
little and it is a relational database like Oracle (not sure if access is one), uses a SQL, can have
logging and archiving just like Oracle. Again I'm not sure whether access have all this."

Actually, whoever it was that said this (I forget) is right, MySQL is more like Access (or maybe the older versions of SQLServer (read 7)), than it is to Oracle. Access is a relational database just like the rest, it's just that it's more of a "desktop" or workgroup level database than an enterprise level database. It handles table relationships etc. just the same however, and is also SQL based via the back end.

I just wrote an entire application for an "introductions agency" (dating agency ;P) that runs entirely on an access database as a "side job" for a friend of my fathers.. It's SQLServer/Oracle's "little brother" by all accounts, only it includes things such as forms designing etc. as part of the package..

Damn I'm starting to sound like a Micro$lop sales man now!! But I have to say, for what I needed to do - it was great!

HTH Mark

 Mark Leith             | T: +44 (0)1905 330 281
 Sales & Marketing      | F: +44 (0)870 127 5283
 Cool Tools UK Ltd      | E: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk
           http://www.cool-tools.co.uk
       Maximising throughput & performance

Author: Alex
  INET: axs_at_m-net.arbornet.org