RE: data cleansing question

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 04:48:19 -0800

Lisam

I also would check with the end-users of the data. Marc's points are valid - but if the end-users (or programmers) accessing the data do not have experience with a relational system, they will stumble and grumble about having to learn to use the NVL function. I personally feel that this is a good learning experience for them (drag them screaming and kicking into the relational world). But sometimes, the fight is just not worth it. If this is a small isolated database with few users, then just say screw-it - populate it exactly as it exists on the IBM mainframe.

If you want to educate them in the real-world, then trim the fields to replace the zeros with nulls.

hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Koivu, Lisa