Re: MySQL vs. Oracle database

From: <G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:03:22 -0800

By default MySQL has no transactions
You have to add special component to access "transactional safe tables" called Berkeley db tables. You can commit and rollback on only these tables. For others every wrong (not syntactically, but for example inserting characters into number column) insert and update will succeed. If MySQL cannot insert provided values it uses default values.

One of the biggest pains is (maybe was, I don't know about MySQL 4.xxx) that it has no foreign keys :((((((((((((

I have created class diagramms for both Oracle and Mysql servers for my studies in University. It cannot be treated as feature comparison but just simple overview of these two images will show the situation i.e. compare object count on these images :-)
And I have to say that Oracle diagramm isn't complete!

Oracle server class diagramm
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/files/oracle/oracle_s.htm

Mysql server class diagramm
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/files/mysql/mysql.htm

Gints Plivna
IT Sistēmas, Merķeļa 13, LV1050 Rīga
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/

                      "Bunyamin K.
                      Karadeniz"               To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      <bunyamink_at_havels        cc:
                      an.com.tr>               Subject:  Re: MySQL vs. Oracle database
                      Sent by:
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      2002.04.18 10:43
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

I have not been so much with MySQL , But want to share my experience.

Firstly , it is very fast ...This makes me suspicious , I wonder if it is trusted to be integral .
Seem like no control ..Does not contain rollbacks , may be this .. Then how does it rollback ?

I have used a version where stored procs ,functions are unavailable .. Wonder if it has now..

Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
Oracle DBA / Developer
Civilian IT Department
Havelsan A.S. Eskisehir yolu
7.km Ankara Turkey
Phone: +90 312 2873565 / 1217
Mobile : +90 535 3357729

The degree of normality in a database
is inversely proportional to that of its DBA.

Author: Bunyamin K. Karadeniz
  INET: bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr

  INET: G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv