data cleansing question

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:43:32 -0800

For those of you who have had to deal with data cleansing -

I am working on importing mainframe data into Oracle. This unglamorous job involves validating (and sometimes compensating for) what is bad data in Oracle's eyes but not on the mainframe - crazy crap like a date = 22/22/2022. I also find that the mainframe programs are padding null fields with 0's.

I wonder how many of you take the route of removing the zeros and storing null in that field? Some of the important numeric fields I think I'll leave that way (past_due_amt, etc.) but several others in this 218-field table are full of zeroes. My gut feel is to null out the insignificant 0'd out fields - that I have pushed to the bottom of the table - to not only save space, but for data integrity. 0 in 75 fields means nothing to me or to anyone else, as far as I can tell.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Hormone Dispenser.
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

Author: Koivu, Lisa
  INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 17:43:32 CDT