RE: Locally managed tablespaces/What a DBA can do ?

From: Glenn Travis <Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:06:00 -0800

My TEMP tablespace is a locally managed temporary tablespace using a tempfile (not datafile). See results below;

SQL> alter tablespace TEMP begin backup; alter tablespace TEMP begin backup
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-03217: invalid option for alter of TEMPORARY TABLESPACE

which makes perfect sense, because you wouldn't want to restore that sucker anyway.

Here's the skinny from Oracle:

cause: Alter database and alter tablespace will not work on locally managed tempfiles as they have no reference in the data dictionary. There is no need to back up the tempfiles as they are used and destroyed every time you start up and shut down the database.

fix:

There is no need to backup the temporary locally manged tablespaces because:

  1. Locally managed tempfiles are always set to NOLOGGING mode. So thus will have no undo.
  2. Extents are managed by bitmap in each datafile to keep track of free or used status of blocks in that datafile.
  3. The data dictionary does not manage the tablespace.
  4. Rollback information is not generated because there is no update on the data dictionary.
  5. Media recovery does not recognize tempfiles.

Author: Glenn Travis
  INET: Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com