OT: db2/udb and new skillz

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:21:06 -0800

My fellow Databasers,

I just found out my employer has an unlimited license for DB2/UDB. I am kind of excited at the prospect of learning a new dbms that isn't SQL Server.

I am also feeling the need to expand my skills. Glancing at the job market under just Oracle isn't promising right now. I also have a feeling my job will eventually be transferred to Orlando or Las Vegas. (Vegas is gorgeous, but I'm not going.)

I am not the best programmer. I can program my way out of a paper bag, I can write pl/sql fairly quickly and well, but I don't see myself enjoying learning the ins and outs of Perl, Java or C++. I don't think well that way. It would also be a struggle for me to learn unix administration, I think. Networking is by far my weakest link (no pun intended)

So my questions are: How many of you are responsible for Oracle and DB2/UDB? What other software (besides erp's) do you find yourself meddling in/being held responsible for? (I also may have the chance to learn Peopleslop, but that would also involve a move to Orlando. NOT) If you were to add a skill to your resume, what would it be?

Thanks in advance for any replies. In order to keep the list traffic down, feel free to reply to me directly.

Peace, Oracle and Happiness,

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database MONKEY MAMA
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

Author: Koivu, Lisa
  INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 13:21:06 CDT