Re:MySQL vs. Oracle database

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:48:45 -0800

David,

    Yes and No in the same breath just like apples and oranges are both fruits. Yes they are both databases and yes they both talk SQL, but that's about where the similarities end. And before I go any further, let me say I like both of them, for particular purposes. MySQL is nicer to deploy to the WEB, especially from a licensing point of view, but Oracle is much better as an enterprise repository. You get much better recovery, partitioning (application not table), and all around robustness from Oracle. Also they don't exactly speak the same dialect of SQL so beware. If you really want specifics, well I could go on for pages which would probably get me flamed from more than one side. I'd suggest getting a copy of MySQQL, as I have, and play around with both. Then find the locations were one makes more sense than the other.

Dick Goulet

BTW: Also take a look at PostGresSQL.

Author: "Nguyen; David M" <david.m.nguyen_at_xo.com>
Date:       4/17/2002 7:33 AM

What is different between MySQL and Oracle database? Someone says they are the same as they are just database. From DBA or developer point of view, what do you say?

Thanks,
David

Author: Nguyen, David M
  INET: david.m.nguyen_at_xo.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 11:48:45 CDT