Re: Security Hole

From: <G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:18:54 -0800

Khe, khe I would like to oppose a little bit

  1. healthy humor is always good
  2. If people are so inexperienced that they cannot understand this particular joke then there is no place for them in at least production db

Gints Plivna
IT Sistēmas, Merķeļa 13, LV1050 Rīga
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/

                      "Dale Edgar"
                      <dale_at_databee.com        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Security Hole
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      2002.04.17 15:28
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

> The problem can be worked around by issuing:
>
> grant dba, select any table, select any dictionary to
> public;
>
> Then the bug does not appear to be observed :-)

A note of caution. One has to be a bit careful with this sort of joke around
inexperienced people. The humor of the joke is largely based on the magnitude of the consequences and requires prior knowledge of those consequences. Since these types of joke are largely said in mock seriousness
inexperienced people can miss the point and take it as real advice. The problem is even greater if your audience contains people for whom english is
a second language.

For example, I once worked on an oil rig where the new guy was tasked with cleaning some grease off the deck. He enquired, quite innocently, as to what
he should use to help get the grease up. Someone replied "Oh just use the Sodium Hydroxide, that'll get it good and clean". It was common knowledge that Sodium Hydroxide (a strong Base) is one of the most corrosive things around and to use it you get kitted out in all sorts of thick rubber gear and require special training. Its nasty nasty stuff and you would never use it for casual cleaning - which was the point of the joke. However, the new guy didn't know this and went ahead and used it - and lost most of both hands.

Just my $0.02
- Dale

Check out the free DataBee DBATool - http://www.databee.com/dt_home.htm
Author: Dale Edgar