Re: CSSCAN Failed

From: Danisment Gazi Unal <dunal_at_unal-bilisim.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:15:38 -0800

Hi,

WE8ISO8859P9 is Turkish character set. I don't see a problem.

Also,

You've a chance to move db to new character sets evenf if it's not in subset/superset relations. Character conversions occur as below:

desktop/terminal <---> Oracle client <---> Oracle server

Oracle uses CONVERT() function internally to change character sets between client and server if these character sets are different. If client and server character sets are same, CONVERT() function is not used. In this case, your terminals or your desktop character sets are stored in db.

Now, If you export your db when your db character set and your export session's character set are same, CONVERT() function will not be used.

But, there will be still old character set in export file header. There should be a note in metalink which explains this header.

If you modify export file header to new character set, and import session's character set and new db character set are the new db character set, no CONVERT() function will be used in import and your data will be imported to new db with new character set without corruption.

Note that no data conversion is done. Data is still same.

This is the way how to move db to different character sets.

regards...

--
Danisment Gazi Unal
http://www.unal-bilisim.com

You can modify export file dump. By this method, you can

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Danisment Gazi Unal INET: dunal_at_unal-bilisim.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).