Re: How to use profiles??

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:44:29 -0800

You are better off controlling the # of concurrent users from the app server. With Oracle profiles, users just exit when resources are exceeded, not a clean exit for the user. Most app servers have some controls or you can build them in the application.

>>> Helmut.Daiminger_at_KirchGruppe.de 04/15/02 10:08AM >>>
Hi!

We are experiencing performance problems on one of our production boxes, because some sessions are using up all the resources. All the users connect to the db through an application server using the same database user (approx 30 simultaneous connections).

I was thinking about using profiles to limit the amount of resources a session can use. But I am pretty unsure to what values I should set the single criterias. The db is running on a Sun server, 4 CPUs, 4 GB of RAM and a Raid 0+1 disk array.

What would be reasonable ballpark numbers to set for

cpu_per_session
cpu_per_call
logical_reads_per_session
logical_reads_per_call

What would happen if cpu_per_session is set to 500 (i.e. 5 seconds) and the session used up all that CPU time? Would the session error out then?

This is 8.1.7 on Sun Solaris.

Thanks,
Helmut

Author: Gene Sais