RE: SQL statement with hints or without hints

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:08:32 -0800

Raj,

Keep in mind that the CBO will be defaulted whenever the following is present:

· Partitioned tables and indexes
· Index-organized tables
· Reverse key indexes
· Function-based indexes
· SAMPLE clauses in a SELECT statement
· Parallel execution and parallel DML (i.e. presence of DEGREE on
Tables/Indexes)
· Star transformations
· Star joins
· Extensible optimizer
· Query rewrite (materialized views)
· Progress meter
· Hash joins
· Bitmap indexes and bitmap join indexes
· Partition Views
· Index skip scans

*And*, when this now-invoked CBO detects objects without statistics, it 'guesstimeates' them based on some ridiculous defaults, leading to absolutely horrible paths. Methinks that is what you are observing....

Looking at the subject lines for papers at IOUG, this subject is going to be dealt with severely :)

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com