UTL_FILE limitation

From: Kieran Murray <kieran.murray_at_norkom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:13:22 -0800

Hi,
I'm trying to load a table with 37 columns, from a flat file. I'm getting ORA-06502 error after about 400 rows have been added to the file. When I read read from other tables this works fine (although they don't have as many columns). I've tried using the overloaded UTL_FILE.FOPEN procedure
(setting max_linesize to 32767) but to no avail. The strange thing is, if I
run a wc -c on any of the lines created they average about 170 bytes, which doesn't even come close to the 1023 bytes limit. Would anyone know of a workaround?

Cheers,
Kieran Murray
Norkom Technologies,
43 Upper Mount Street,
Dublin 2, Ireland

P.S. relevant commands are :
fileid := utl_file.fopen(file_dir,file_name,'w',32767); v_data := <table data which is tab-delimited>; utl_file.put_line(fileid, v_data);
utl_file.fclose(fileid);

Table description is:
CREATE TABLE CDM_RESULTS_FILE (

  CUS_ID    NUMBER        NOT NULL,
  BAN       NUMBER        NOT NULL,
  CTN       VARCHAR2 (12),
  CNAME1    VARCHAR2 (100),
  CNAME2    VARCHAR2 (100),
  CMTITLE   VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMADD1    VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMADD2    VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMCNTY    VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMCITY    VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMZIP     VARCHAR2 (50),
  CMSTATE   VARCHAR2 (50),
  CATTN     VARCHAR2 (50),
  CWPH      VARCHAR2 (50),
  CWPHEX    VARCHAR2 (50),
  CHPH      VARCHAR2 (50),
  COTHPHON  VARCHAR2 (50),
  SCORE     NUMBER,
  SCORE10   NUMBER,
  SCORE20   NUMBER,
  SCORE50   NUMBER,
  SCORE100  NUMBER,
  REASON1   NUMBER,
  REASON2   NUMBER,
  REASON3   NUMBER,
  REASON4   NUMBER,
  REASON5   NUMBER,
  REASON6   NUMBER,
  REASON7   NUMBER,
  REASON8   NUMBER,
  REASON9   NUMBER,
  REASON10  NUMBER,
  MCABA     NUMBER,
  MSRATA    NUMBER,
  MSRTA     NUMBER,
  MSRACA    NUMBER,
  MROAM     NUMBER)

The information contained in this e-mail transmission is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) stated above. If you are not an addressee, any use, dissemination, distribution, publication, or copying of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify our IT Department by telephone at 353-1-6769333 or e-mail internal.support_at_norkom.com and delete the e-mail from your system.

Author: Kieran Murray
  INET: kieran.murray_at_norkom.com