RE: Developer access in test database

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 06:28:40 -0800

I grant them full access to their own schema. The production schema owner in TEST databases is still controlled by DBAs. I do grant them selected '... any ...' privileges as needed, in the TEST databases excluding 'select any table'. No one gets it. Instead I grant them select_catalog_role to view SYS owned views etc. In addition, I have created a TOAD_USER role for them to use TOAD fully without running into any problems. These things have cut down a lot of very basic questions and calls from Developers. However, one size does not fit all. This is all dependent on how developement work is done in your particular environment. In my previous job, no one bothered to change sys and system passwords and it was a true 'open systems' environment when it came to TEST/DEV work !!

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com