IOUG Get-together

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:33:40 -0800

Hi all,

Here's hoping this is in time for y'all who are visiting/presenting at IOUG. I believe most of you will be getting in either late Saturday or early Sunday. After completion of registration, etc., I guess we should be free on Sunday evening for a quick introduction so we know some names and faces. Most classes/seminars are over at 4:30PM. New speaker registration starts at 4:00PM. Dunno when it ends, but surely before the Speaker orientation at Room 29 which starts at 5:00 and ends at 6:00PM.

Since a number of us are speaking (as well as being new to speaking) and will be attending this evening session, may I suggest we all meet at around 6:00(ish) PM on Sunday at Room 29 for introductions? A number of listers should have gathered by then after the Speaker orientation meeting completes. We can then plan for a longer one at a dinner later... This early meeting will ensure that we all get to know names/faces/events before everything really revs up.

A list so far, including papers/seminars:

  1. Rachel Carmichael - How not to be a DBA - Mon, Apr 15, 2002 @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM Rm 26A
  2. Joe Testa - LogMiner Wed, Apr 17, 2002 @ 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Rm 32A
  3. Susan McClain (presenting with Joe) - Data guard Tue, Apr 16, 2002 @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM, Rm 30E
  4. Mike Bates
  5. Tim Gorman - Seminar:Advanced Troubleshooting (Sunday), Paper: CBO (Monday)
  6. Steve Wonder
  7. Charlie Mengler (Local_at_San Diego) - Maybe Charlie can suggest a nice place for a later meeting?
  8. Kirti Deshpande - Oracle Wait events, Wed, Apr 17, 2002 @ 11:45 AM - 12:15 PM Rm 24
  9. Paul Parker
  10. Jim Howerton
  11. Margaret Garmon
  12. Ari Kaplan - Wireless world (Monday), DBA primer (Sun)
  13. Robert Freeman - Urban legends Tue, Apr 16, 2002 @ 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM Rm 31A
  14. Stephen Karniotis -
  15. Gaja Vaidyanatha - Seminar: Perf Mmgt
    (Sunday), Paper:Storage Management (Wed)
  16. Mike Ault (from LazyDBA list) - Seminar: Tuning (Sunday), various others (Monday)
  17. Suzy Vordos
  18. Johnson Michael (from LazyDBA list)
  19. John Kanagaraj - Rbo-to-CBO, Thu, Apr 18, 2002 @ 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM Room 31B

Others who are/were once part of this list and are presenting:

20. Marlene Theriault (a last bow at IOUG?)- DBA Paradigm shifts (Wed), Mini: Securiing a web site (tue)
21. Nick Wagner - Data replication, Thu, Apr 18, 2002 @ 9:45 AM - 10:45 AM Rm 25C 22. Dan Peacock - DSS - Mon, Apr 15, 2002 @ 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM, Rm 30B
21. Murali Vallath - Parsing/Cost of synonyms Thu, Apr 18, 2002 @ 9:45 AM - 10:45 AM, Rm 30A 23. Charlene Yanke - Beginner scripts Tue, Apr 16, 2002 @ 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM, Rm 31B
24. Kevin Loney - Indexing, Wed, Apr 17, 2002 @ 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM, Rm 32B

This is so that you can plan to attend (and support :) presentations from the first-time speakers.

In summary, we will try and get together on SUNDAY at 6:00PM outside Room 29, and plan for a longer dinner/meeting elsewhere at another time. I will email the ones not in the list privately just for info.

If I have missed anyone - apologies, and please let me know! Charlie, can I request you to think about a nice place to meet later?

Thanks all!
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
Hitachi Data Systems
Santa Clara, CA
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)
Fax: 408 327 3402 (Call/Email prior to fax)

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com