RE: insert performance

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:18:30 -0800

Paul - My point is that I have seen performance decrease when too many processes are used. For example, with imports, a multi-cpu system may import faster with two import jobs running. But at some point it seems that Oracle and/or the operating system is just trying to switch between each process to make sure they are all getting attention, and the overall performance suffers. It certainly doesn't just focus on one process and ignore all the others. Given that you are throwing 50 processes at the 4-cpu system, I could see it running slower. Typically on for a meaningful benchmark, you would vary the number of processes to see where the optimum throughput is achieved. This is why benchmarks are so expensive to perform -- very time-consuming. On a practical level, as a DBA if you must move a lot of data in a short window, a weekend conversion for example, it is a good idea to try a little benchmarking to try to improve the data movement rate. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Paul Baumgartel