Re:No DBAs needed on AS400

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 06:58:29 -0800

Jay,

    We still have one of those dinosaurs running here called HP's TurboImage database. It also "does not need a DBA", actually it does not understand what a DBA is. The "database" is hierachtical with the constraints set during creation. I constantly have fun with the older ManMan developers as we move them into PeopleSoft. They have no idea of what's going on under the covers. SQL is a foreign language to them, their all use to TurboImage intrinsics and a SQL*Plus look alike tool called Quiz. It's kind of fun, you have to "use" a dataset (they call them databases), report out columns, and then set conditions.  Kind of like writing SQL with the from clause first. This type of structure has to be carried into the application programs as well, namely you've got to call the dbopen intrinsic before you can use a dataset. BTW, that's in C syntax 'dbopen("MANDB.MDATABAS.MMV090")' (the HP3000 MPEi/x directory structure is kind of strange). There is no such thing as rollback or read consistent view and recovery consists of going back to the last backup, all of which are cold, and having everyone re-enter their transactions. OH, yes, there is no such thing as a user. If you have the ability to loggon to the HP3000, you can use the database and everything is wide open. No ideas of security. Problem with TurboImage is that to "modify a database" you have to rebuild it using an HP utility and then you have to rebuild all of your application programs, or else they crash. Developers do that task as needed and when they mess up, well all hell can and does break loose. Also you need to run these third party utilities each night so that there is room for the dataset to grow and you have to fix broken chains all the time. There is no concept of an instance either. Your application program directly accesses the data files/datasets, so 'impeded' sessions are a common occurance and if an application messes up it can require a system reboot to clear the problems. Sure you don't need a DBA, but you sure as heck need an operator. Problem is that most operators don't get paid as well as a DBA. If your new CIO is in that mindset I'd recommend polishing your resume, cause your gonna need it.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Jay Hostetter" <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date:       4/11/2002 5:54 AM

We are going through a merger, and management is looking to eliminate positions.  Here is a brief summary of my discussion with the new director of IT:

Director: "Back when I we were using an AS400, we didn't need a DBA." Me: "Then you probably were just using files." Director: "No, it was a database."
Me: "Could you issue SQL commands?"
Director: "Yes. But we didn't need a DBA. I guess it was just one of those mysteries of life."

My thoughts are that he is using the term "database" in the generic sense of the word (our "files" are our database), or he was using some proprietary database that doesn't even begin to compare to Oracle.

For those of you who know AS400s, I would appreciate some insight that would demonstrate why he needs to keep me as a DBA.

Thanks,
Jay

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Apr 11 2002 - 09:58:29 CDT