Re: Favourite Urban Myth

From: Yechiel Adar <adaryechiel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:18:27 -0800

Well to continue the thread (as per Jared request) one newbe in our company started to learn the commands for the CICS (central terminal server on mainframe).
going through the manual he got to the command shutdown immediate and tested it
on production system. suprize : It worked :-)))

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

> On Tuesday 09 April 2002 20:03, Deshpande, Kirti wrote:
>
> Well Kirti, if you're going to morph this thread into stupid DBA tricks...
>
> We had one young fellow working for us that was new to unix. He had
> just discovered that he could run a job in the background via '&' at about
> the same time he was assigned the task of recompiling all of the files
> for an entire application.
>
> You can probably guess the rest. ;)
>
> About the time he started bragging about how "quickly" he was able
> to recompile all of the code, we were all headed to the server room
> to find out why our dev server was suddenly so slow...
>
> Jared
>

> > We had one dba who (by mistake) issued a 'chown -R oracle:dba' followed
by
> > 'chmod -R 750 *' from the '/' directory while logged in as root.
> > Fortunately, it was a server with no production databases on it, just a
> > couple of Development databases. She never new what a '#' prompt was.
She

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adaryechiel_at_hotmail.com