Replication Question

From: John Weatherman <john.weatherman_at_replacements.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:09:15 -0800

Hi All,

I have recently been handed the task of setting up master-master replication on our existing production environment (yes, I am in test to start!). Because this is an established site with a lot of historical data, we would like to use Offline Instantiation as detailed in Note 68657.1. We had an Oracle Consultant in here who said this was the best approach.

However as I started digging, I discovered Note 120686.1, which indicates that the other note only really applies when adding a new master to an existing replicated system. Problems with referential integrity seem to blow the note apart when working with an existing, non-replicated production system.

SO, my question is, has anybody successfully managed offline instantiation for converting an existing non-replicated system into a master-master replicated system? How did you deal with the constraints issue?

Of course this is made even more complicated by having the original master be an 8i instance and the new master be a 9i instance. I'm thinking that setting the 9i compatable init parameter to match the 8i instance should allow things to work. Any experience running a replicated master-master system with differing version of Oracle for the masters? Any special gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks for any and all help!

Pax,

John

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 10 2002 - 10:09:15 CDT