rman views & one other rman question - long, sorry

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:03:26 -0800

Hello everyone,

I'm digging through rman again. Wish I had more time to do this ongoing. I've looked at the v$views in the past, but didn't dig into them too deeply.

Now that my backup strategy is backup to disk -> wait for media manager to take files to tape, I'll need to be able to intelligently tell my SA what files I need should a restore become necessary. I don't have the luxury of a recovery catalog. However, it looks as if the v$ views in the target database will tell me what I need to know.

Has anyone ever seen an erd or some documentation stating the relationship between these views? I know that the important ones (so far - v$backup_set, v$backup_datafile, v$backup_redolog, v$backup_piece) are related by set_stamp and set_count. I'd like to be able to create an erd for the dba that will be covering when I'm out on leave.

Does v$log_history relate back in somehow?

Another thing I'm looking at is deleting old backups. I've been messing with the CHANGE command but it only references backupset and backuppiece. Would I have to give this command for every archive log that I am ready to get rid of? Or is there a twist to this command that will get rid of the backup piece that contains the archive logs?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, websites, etc.

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Database Dog Catcher
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
954-935-4117

Author: Koivu, Lisa
  INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:03:26 CDT