RE: Fairly Boring News Article on Oracle

From: Pardee, Roy E <roy.e.pardee_at_lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:48:28 -0800

No way! I'd say that web services are a collection of standards that allow HTTP-borne remote procedure calls between clients and servers. It's all XML & objects under the skin, if I understand it correctly.

The theory is that neither client nor server need to run any specific brand of software, nor know about things like what OS is running on either end, etc. Servers just have to be able to listen for HTTP requests, act on them & respond with XML streams of the expected format. Everybody codes to these standards and boom--instant firewall-permeable interoperability for all.

So the server could be as you specify below, or could be IIS using .Net, or anything else that will emit properly formatted XML streams. Clients can be anything that can make sense of the server's output stream--Java, custom coded C++, or what-have-you.

But I'm probably wrong about at least some of that...

Cheers,

-Roy

Roy Pardee
Programmer/Analyst
SWFPAC Lockheed Martin IT
Extension 8487

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Pardee, Roy E
  INET: roy.e.pardee_at_lmco.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 09 2002 - 11:48:28 CDT