re: dump.sql

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:38:25 -0800

apparently there were some 1000 char fields with carriage return/linefeed

solved:

|update
|       foobar
|   set
|       column_with_junk =
|replace( column_with_junk, CHR(10), '<~>') /* '<~>' arbitrary */
|  where
|        instr( column_with_junk, CHR(10) ) > 0

"replace(column_with_junk,CHR(10))" would just get rid of the CHR(10)s (linefeeds) altogether.

don't worry, the character return/linefeeds are not important to the users any longer.

regards,
ep

--Message-Boundary-20593
To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:04:09 -0800

--Message-Boundary-22766

After dumping out several thousand records, I get:

>ERROR:
>ORA-01489: result of string concatenation is too long

without getting exhaustively exhaustive about the thing, anyone seen the error?

thanks,
ep

--Message-Boundary-22766

http://www.cybcon.com/~jkstill/util/dump/dump.html

Dump Tables To A Flat File

      Dump Oracle Tables To ASCII/Comma Delimited File

dump.sql is a utility to dump a single table to a comma and double quote delimited file. In addition, SQL*LOADER control and parameter
files will be generated as well.

dump.sql will remove all double quotes from the data to avoid confusing
SQL*LOADER. If you don't like this behavior, you may easily modify dump.sql to use a different delimiter, or skip using the quotes altogether.

The use of the quotes however, makes it possible for commas to appear
in the data without confusing SQL*LOADER.

dump.sql in ASCII
( http://www.cybcon.com/~jkstill/util/zips/dump.sql )

--end--

Author: Eric D. Pierce