Application task refuses to reconnect

From: Morton, Ronald D <rdmorton_at_switch.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:58:20 -0800

Fellow listers,

I have an application task that is designed to connect to the database and remain connected until the task is shut down. This task also has logic to detect when it loses the database connection and then attempt to reconnect. All of my testing in our lab has worked perfectly. With the task running, I can shut down the database, forcing the task to generate the following two error messages. Upon restarting the database the task reconnects just as it did when first started.

ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced. ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.

This development occurred about four years ago and the task has been in service at the customer site all this time. Just recently, the customer informed me that this task has never reconnected to their database whenever there has been an outage. They claimed that they always had to shutdown and restart the task to get it to connect again. So, I took a look at their operation and sure enough - no reconnection. Here are the error messages from their database.

ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced. ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name.

The two databases are the same version (7.3.2.2.0 - I know, I know, UPGRADE! - not an option for at least a year). This task communicates with the DB through OCI calls. The task does not run on the same machine as the DB. The OS in question here is Solaris 2.5 (SunOS 5.5).

I've checked the permissions on the TNSNAMES.ORA file and even placed copies of this file in the other expected locations with no luck. I have tried numerous changes to the SQLNET.ORA file as suggested by a MetaLink document on 12154 errors - all to no avail.

I was able to force my lab task to fail by removing the TNSNAMES.ORA file altogether. Once the task received the 12154 error, it then refused to reconnect, even when the TNSNAMES file had been replaced.

I've run out of ideas on what to look at here. Anybody out there ever seen anything similar? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

-Ron

Author: Morton, Ronald D
  INET: rdmorton_at_switch.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 05 2002 - 18:58:20 CST